Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Freaky Frankenstorm


I’ve been keeping up with the historic storm Hurricane Sandy over the past few days, watching with nauseous horror as images of familiar landmarks in New York City and Bergen County, New Jersey surface on the news. 

I can’t imagine what I’d do if I was caught up in that battle between nature versus infrastructure.  The only natural disaster I have any orientation to are the tornado-producing ripsnorts which regularly tear through Arkansas like a hangnail through a pair of cheap pantyhose.

We’re fortunate to have been spared the normal amount of trips to the ‘fraidy hole over the course of this year.  Thank the good Lord it’s been so, because a first pregnancy is fraught with enough fresh anxieties without having to fret over the possibility of a house falling on your sister.  I’m not sure my nerves could’ve withstood a typical cow-pitchin’, oak-snappin’ weather event -- never mind a full-blown ark-floater like Sandy’s turning out to be.

What in the world would I do if (or, inevitably, when) we’re faced with a dangerous and unpredictable situation like this while a child is in my care?

Will nerves and incontinence take over as they normally do, or will protective instinct overrule my fear of the elements propel me toward an appropriate response?

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the...

No comments:

Post a Comment