Monday, October 29, 2012

The Happiest.


My parents’ generation was advised by their peers not to trust anyone over the age of thirty. 

 

Now that I’ve reached that age myself, I believe I’ve figured out why.  There’s a tendency toward unapologetic honesty that accompanies the epiphany of oh crap, I’m an adult, and I’m sure that can be abrasive to those who haven’t reached that point yet.

 

Since I’ve come to the realization that I am truly, undeniably grown up, I’ve ceased to feel the need to make apologies for myself when I succeed. 

 

I understand that “friend” is a title worthy of being earned, which proves itself when tested by time and circumstance.  It’s lovely to have a circle rich in pleasant acquaintances, but I don’t expect everyone I get along with or spend time around to be my superduperbestfriendforever.  To have an automatic expectation of that kind of relationship is to ask too much.  

 

I can take others’ criticism with a grain of salt before I take it to heart.  I’m learning to consider the motivations behind the source of such words. 

 

Faithful are the wounds of a friend, But deceitful are the kisses of an enemy.  – Proverbs 27:6

 

By the opposite side of the same coin, I’ve learned to accept flattery with an equal measure of wariness. 

 

I’ve realized that fashion and personal style are two distinctly different approaches to presenting oneself.  You can incorporate the former into the latter, but slavishly pursuing only what’s new and popular sends the message that I’m not comfortable with my own judgment.   

 

For the sake of these shifts in attitude, I like being thirty years old.  I was thinking precisely that thought today as I ran errands in my sensible used sedan while listening to the local classical radio station.  I realized that in the midst of that seemingly mundane moment, hey, this is one of those moments that I’m going to long for when I’m old. 

 

 

I can afford a full tank of gas,

I’m responsible for myself financially and that doesn’t frighten me,

I finally stopped dyeing and overchopping my hair,

I don’t give a crap that I have an old phone,

My home is a place I enjoy being at,

And I’m experiencing my first pregnancy within the love and security of a nurturing, functional marriage.

 

I honestly can’t think of any other moment in my life when I’ve been happier.

 

But I’m sure that happiest moment is well on its way.

1 comment:

  1. I have to say, I think turning 30 was my favorite age milestone so far. I just wish I could've gotten my 18 year old body as a birthday present. Thanks again for your posts. I enjoy them all, even if I don't comment.

    ReplyDelete