Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Mini Wrap!

During our day trip to Little Rock earlier this week, I felt secure enough to take Ava Leigh into Whole Foods to meet her Pawpaw for lunch and to do a little shopping for odd pantry items like Tikka Masala and anchovy paste.  Unlike Walmart, where who-knows-what contagion is smeared who-knows-where, I felt fairly confident in the company of vegans, hippies, and anyone else who could afford to buy their groceries there.  Other than smoking a little wacky tobaccy on the side, this group tends to keep their lungs and bowels fairly clear, which in turn makes me feel better about my newborn being in their company.

Another reason I chose this location for our outing was to try out our new Moby wrap in a place where pretty much any fashion hardly gets a second glance.  If you aren't familiar with the Moby, just imagine one of those women who wears their baby as they sell fruit in a market, as depicted in any issue of National Geographic.  While "baby wearing" seems infrequently practiced in Arkansas, it's embraced in many other parts of the world as a way to bond with your child while ridding you of an excuse to avoid housework.  I've grown to love it.  It puts Ava to sleep like a stone, and when I peel her off of me, I can still smell her babyness on my skin.



Well, after dad and I visited over indian food and Yerba Mate, I browsed around with my little samosa strapped to my chest....and for such a tolerant crowd, you would not believe how many strongly opinionated older women approached me to tell me what they thought of my cotton-bound baby!

"I just love the way that you protect your child!", one woman raved over the sweet potatoes.  "Did you know that a sneeze can travel six feet?!"

No, I did not know that.  But thank you.  And please remove your coffee breath from her personal space.  Babies are people too, nice informative hippie lady.

......

I've heard a lot of differing opinions on the frequency of holding or carrying babies, ranging from "you can't spoil them by holding them" (the hospital's view) to "let them cry it out sometimes" (the seemingly practical mom's view).  Since we got the Moby, she and I both seem very content to be glued to one another most of the day.  But then again, we're blessed to be the parents of a very easygoing child.  And wearing her feels right.  I wonder now if a lot of people who are emotionally disconnected later in life may have been missing this as a child - this feeling of complete security and care.  What do you think, Mini-fans?



2 comments:

  1. It seems the "don't hold your baby" trend is late in Western Civilization and the only harm I've ever heard of is the children who didn't get loved enough. Trust your Mommy instinct!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It goes against everything my instinct tells me..... And let me tell you, as someone who compulsively cleans house, the Moby wrap is a beautiful solution for us both! Sometimes when I meet someone who's clingy but unable to completely trust, I can't help but wonder what their babyhood was like....

      Delete