Thursday, November 8, 2012

Mini's Momma's Thinking Spot

“But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart”.
Luke 2:19
This verse – this moment – in the Gospel of St. Luke has been rolling around in my heart for the past few days.  It’s always been one of my favorite moments in the story of Christ’s birth because it’s so relatable, so peaceful, so maternal. 

Pregnancy introduces a lot of temptation to worry and fuss and overplan.  I know.  Take this from the woman who wants an extra refrigerator upstairs because I’m afraid I might trip over the enormous Miss Daphne and tumble down the stairs on my way to get a glass of milk at 2 a.m..

As my physical pace slows during my third trimester and the sunlight grows increasingly scarce, I’m beginning to realize the enormous value of this pondering period.  I couldn’t have set the time frame of this pregnancy to correspond any better with the seasons, as the cold months invite repose and reflection more than any other.  While my thoughts are far from similar to Mary’s – she having to consider the words of angels, the rumors swirling through local shepherd’s fields regarding the divinity of her son, and probably the dismay of some future in-laws – I realize that the arrival of a child is a prime occasion to weigh a parent’s innermost thoughts.

Over the past few months, I’ve been blazing through my second trimester in my “I’ll think about it tomorrow”/ Scarlett O’Hara mode.  There was just too much that demanded to be done, which robbed me of the time necessary to find a “Pooh’s corner” and devote much effort to deep thought.  I viewed it as nesting time in reverse – do all that I can while energy and physical limitations were at their most cooperative, and then sit down to plan and prioritize after I’d been grounded by mounting challenges to my physical equilibrium.

So now that my pace is slowing, what’s on the plate to ponder, Pooh?
 
 
Ooof.  Kinda feels like twenty-nine weeks of pregnancy.

What kind of parents will we be?  This goes beyond the typical “Will I be a good parent?” question.  After all, only time will answer that.  We’ve got to isolate exactly what priorities guide excellent parenting.  I know that attaining this goal includes things far beyond ticking off a simple checklist.  It’s not about accomplishment (which drives me CRAZY, because I’m accomplishment-driven).  It’s about the relationship we want with our child/future children, and not necessarily about elaborate vacations or expensive wardrobes that can seem tempting to use as substitutes for day to day involvement.  Which leads me to my next thought…

What kind of lifestyle should we be careful to model to our family?  This reaches far beyond what limits we set and habits we abstain from.  After all, it’s easy for anyone (whether religious or not) to go around with their nose up in the air and the notion that they’re a good person for the sake of what they don’t do.  When it comes to actively teaching our child what is positive and worthwhile, it’s going to come down to making mindful choices of how we spend our time, money, and health in front of them.  For example, if we choose to do something important with them (like keep a promise to go to the park) rather than accept an invitation that might advance us socially as adults, that reinforces that keeping promises to each other is more important than doing something that benefits us selfishly.  If I put forethought and effort into making sure that my family eats wholesomely and well, I’ll not only reinforce the importance of that habit, but I’ll have one more avenue to teach the pleasure of planning, shopping and cooking as an expression of love toward those in my household.  And in the same vein, if Jason and I invest in making our home a pleasant place to for family and friends to gather (with all the visual warmth and tidiness that requires), then it will communicate how much we want those we love to enjoy one another’s company by providing them a safe and welcoming environment.

And then, unquestionably, What kind of spiritual life do we want our children to bear witness to?  To be blunt, I’m talking about the stuff of substance not always addressed in polite Sunday School discussion.  They, more often than anyone else, will be privy to those potentially undignified moments when we as flawed human beings simply fall short of what we profess. 

I know those moments will occur.  They happen constantly without the added pressure of being responsible for another human being.  Every day, I screw up and likely cause others to question where I stand. 

I catch myself gossiping at work.  My temper flares when I judge others to be incompetent and willfully ignorant.  I can be as impetuous as Captain Ahab.  It frightens the fool outta me that some poor unsuspecting kid will have a front-row seat to these and other day-to-day shortcomings.  The best thing I know to do in response to this is to acknowledge over and over that I’m weak and in need of salvation and direction, and to fill my life with the salve of this grace and be hungry every day for the guidance of the Holy Spirit.  It will take maturity on my part to call my selfish failures what they are (sin!), accept forgiveness and press on.  Thank goodness Jesus invites us to walk with him, with all the skipping, stumbling, and falling on our faces that entails  – not just sit on a mountaintop and just soak up our own perceived perfection. 

It’s too exhausting to act like you’re convinced you’re perfect, anyway.

Don’t be that guy.

Ok, that’s enough deep thought for today.

How about a couple of baby picture to cleanse the mental palette?

 
Sweet little Jason at the beginning of his goose-egg phase.
Sometimes he still knocks a knot on his adorable forehead.


 
Baby me, looking like I'm angling to sell someone a used car.

1 comment:

  1. I find your post quite deep at times Mini Mommy - but, very insightful. I know that you are Mini Daddy will provide a wonderful and loving atmosphere to which Mini Clenney will grow nd soar. I found myself too reflecting on my days as a young Mother and an Aunt to Jason and Clayton..and, how much fun the boys would have playing in the fields and stepping in the "cow pies" at their Grandmas house..those were the care free days of yonder for sure. It seems as tho those days go so quickly and so much changes - you find your left with memories - and, nothing more. So I do not envy you both at this time - it is indeed a complicated task. But one I am certain your two will handle with such grace. I know Jason was this sweet little one that would just take his time at everything - and, I suppose training his little girl to grow into a Woman of Dignity and Grace will not be hurried either...I know that as long as you continually look nigh unto the hills that is where your help comes from - and with His help - you will always have exactly what you need, when you need it...not a moment too soon, nor too late. And, it is my prayer that as Mini begins her journey, there will be time for a visit with Aunt Mo - because I cannot wait to hold her!! love you sweetie, looking beautiful...belly and all! muuuah

    ReplyDelete