Friday, November 23, 2012

Towel Brawl 2012

Yesterday's holiday was lovely.  I can think of plenty of dear ones whose company I missed, but to those whom we had the pleasure of eating and visiting with yesterday, it did our hearts much good to reconnect with family. 
 

Tonight we'll be dining with a different branch of the family tree with the added bonus of celebrating Aunt Angela's 25th birthday.  Bwahaha, you're old, Ang!  Aaaaaand I'm still older than you.  D'oh.
 
Speaking of Angela, we met by chance at a far-flung Wal-mart in Hot Springs last night, both of us with bedraggled husbands in tow.  I was leaving with armloads of bathroom goods and she was just revving her engines for retail battle.  "Why do you come to this Wal-mart?" I asked her.  She was truly the last person I thought I'd see at that location -- it's miles away from home and there's two outposts closer to where she lives. 
 
"This is the ghetto Wal-Mart.  It's more fun!"   
 
And the sad part was, I knew she was right.
 
What was I thinking, exposing my expecting self to the heaving tide of rabid old ladies who threw themselves at the Black Friday bins as soon as the plastic was ripped off?
 
Thank God I ran into family friend Laura.  We camped out next to the towels together until eight o'clock when the first round of insanity began.  I admit I completely underestimated the vicious nature of my fellow tightwads, because when the frenzy began, it literally blew us back like a small nuclear explosion.  I threw my arms around my belly instinctively and cowered between a trash can and a concrete pole until the ground stopped shaking.  When I gathered the courage to look up, Laura turned to me triumphantly with an armload of taupe towels and kindly allowed me to pick though them.  Come to think of it, I'm not sure if she even had the chance at the towel colors she wanted.  She just grabbed mine.  I will never forget her Thanksgiving sacrifice.  I don't know what I would've done without her.  *sniff!*  I'd probably still be drying off with Bounty paper towels.
 
This is why I'm bestowing upon her the first annual...
 
 
Congratulations, "Lulu!"  Your ferocity is appreciated!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment