Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Faith Builds a Nursery

When things seem worrysome and uncertain,
it's good to know that someone strong and steady is looking out for you.   
 
 
From what we've experienced over the past few days, there are apparently
SO many more strong, steady Someones looking out for us than we ever could've anticipated.
Ava Leigh has a host of angels watching out for her, both in heaven and on earth. 
 
 
I sincerely do believe that angels exist in order to do the work that God intends them to do.
I also believe that the Holy Spirit moves within receptive people's hearts to accomplish what will bring Him glory. 
 
Sometimes I don't recognize these agents of heaven until after their work is done.
 
 I can look back and clearly see my shortfalls of faith He's smothered in protection and grace. 
 
God has certainly mended much more than I ever intended to break.  He's proved Himself faithful to me, even when I've refused to acknowledge His help.  Maybe it's been for the sake of others' faith that he's preserved me during those times.
 
 * ~ * ~ * ~ * 
 
I've been cool lately. Aloof. Too proudly self-sufficient.  Too captivated by my own supposed cleverness.  I'll hardly let my husband open a jar of peanut butter for me before I strain myself twisting the lid and beat it to death with the butt end of a butter knife because I'm so stubbornly convinced of my own adequacy.
 
Maybe this is a wake-up call. 
 
No spiritually mature Christian believes they are their own self-sustaining source of strength.
 
 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. 
Elijah was a human being, even as we are. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops.
~ James 5: 16-18
 
Was Elijah the guy with the spiffy Sunday School haircut and a good citizenship award hanging on his office walls?  Likely not.
 
Was he the kid with the gold star on his Biblical behavioral checklist?  Who knows.
 
What I know of him and of other great figures of faith (like David and Moses) who were called "righteous" were the ones who were aware of humility as the foundation of their faith, even while others were calling them king or master.  They had plenty of screwups immortalized in writing for us to scrutinize, but in the end, it was their faith that ultimately set them and their families apart to be blessed.
 
It wasn't that terribly difficult things didn't happen to them. 
But incredible, history-altering things unfolded around them and because of them, too.
 
I know that my family isn't the first family to ever fear for a child's life.
I know that there are people out there who are aware of every mistake I've ever made,
and wonder why I would think I deserve God's favor in begging for the well being of our daughter.
 
They have a point.  I'm not deserving upon my own merit.  Neither one of Ava's parents are.
But that's exactly why we even dare to pray.
God's forgiveness is SO much stronger than the damage done by our shortcomings.
 
And the constant reminder of His LOVE is enough to conquer our fears.
 
 
This is why we keep adding details to her nearly overdecorated nursery.
This is why we wash her tiny clothes and hang them neatly in her closet.
This is why I collect books that I long to read to her.
 
Because we believe that God can make it possible for us to bring her home, healthy.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment