Thursday, January 17, 2013

Pain Management and Smelly Nelly

Hallo, friends!  I've tiptoed away from Ava Leigh's bedside for a moment while she's sleeping peacefully to let you know how her recovery is progressing. 

Her pacifier has really had to double as a stress ball today as Ava's pain management was worked out through the course of the afternoon.  She currently seems very contented with a dose of Tylenol keeping her dulled from the discomfort of her surgery.  A half dose of Morphine seemed to slow her breathing a bit too much this morning, and coupling that with the effects of the anesthesia fading from her system, she hasn't wet a diaper on her own yet.  We've been reassured this is not an unusual side effect, and we've seen the results of her kidneys working through the bag attached to her catheter, but since we're impatient to do all the typical parent-y things like change diapers and wipe up smelly things, we're counting the hours until she's able to make our soggy dreams come true. 

Otherwise, today has been peaceful and blessedly uneventful for our little baby bird.... we've been grateful for the lull in action.  It's so soul-satisfying just to sit and rest our cheek on the side of her bed and listen to the rhythm of her respiration squeaking past her nasal tube.  I could just watch her little chest rise and fall for hours.  I don't know if I'll ever watch American Idol again.  Who cares if you can yodel?!?  Dude, my baby can just breathe and I'm mesmerized.

And speaking of joy and comfort, Ava has a new little friend.  Meet Smelly Nelly!



She sleeps with me at night so she can carry my Mommy-scent on her dress and comfort Ava in her sleep.  I can't wait to be as close to her as Smelly Nelly gets to be right now.  How can I be so jealous of a stuffed napkin?!

Stay tuned for night-night pictures.....

luv,
Mummers

2 comments:

  1. Heather! Congrats on your new precious and beautiful little birdy! I am praying for you all and for a speedy and comfortable recovery for sweet miss Ava. My children also had (and still have, actually) a smelly nelly! they really do help! She is gorgeous, and you look beautiful and glowing as well! "Mommy" looks good on ya!

    Love,
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I watched to ight as I saw this tender little one wrap her small hand around the thumb of her Mummers - and Oh was so comforted...so smelly nelly may seem to be what works - but, I promise you...NOTHING beats the warm, gentle and loving stroke of the one she will forever adore..YOU, Heather Clenney - Her Mom. God bless you all sweet heart...I cannot wait to hold you Ava boo....:)

    ReplyDelete